Delicious steak recipe wins KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship grilling contest
“A” Game Steak and Potatoes
This steak and potato dish will prove you know how to bring your “A” game to the grill! Flat iron steaks are seasoned with a smoky spice blend, then seared to perfection. Slices of the steak are topped with a slightly tangy cherry sauce. Served on the side is a potato salad which incorporates potatoes, scallions, bell pepper and cherry tomatoes – all grilled, then tossed with a zingy gorgonzola vinaigrette. The three different components of this dish play off each other perfectly! Enjoy!
|For the Potato Salad:||For the Steak:||For the Cherry Sauce|
|1 ¼ pounds baking potatoes||2 teaspoons ground cumin||¾ cup cherry preserves|
|2 Tablespoons vegetable oil||2 teaspoons ancho chili powder||1 teaspoon lemon zest|
|¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided||2 teaspoons smoked paprika||2 teaspoons lemon juice|
|3/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided||1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder||½ cup red wine or water|
|3 scallions||1 teaspoon ground coriander||1 teaspoon cornstarch|
|½ of large green bell pepper, quartered, seeded, & veins removed||½ teaspoon kosher salt|
½ teaspoon black pepper
|Additional garnish: Chopped fresh basil|
|8 cherry tomatoes||2 (3/4 pound each) flat iron steaks|| |
|1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil|| || |
|1 ¼ Tablespoon champagne vinegar|| || |
|2 teaspoons lemon juice|| || |
|1 teaspoon minced garlic|| || |
|2 ounces gorgonzola crumbled|| || |
|2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil|| || |
|Additional gorgonzola crumbles & scallions (green portion only) chopped for garnish|| || |
“A” Game Steak and Potatoes
- Heat a gas grill to medium high.
- Prepare the potato salad: Cut potatoes into ½ inch slices, place into a large bowl. Top with the vegetable oil, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place potato slices onto grill, cook until softened, cooked through and grill marks begin to form, approximately 4-5 minutes per side. At the same time, place scallions and bell pepper onto grill and cook until they both begin to soften and grill marks begin to form, approximately 2 minutes per side. Skewer the cherry tomatoes onto a long metal skewer and place onto grill and cook 1-2 minutes per side, just until they begin to slightly soften. Remove all to plate, let sit for 2-3 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, place the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, whisk to fully combined. Add in the gorgonzola, which until combined and cheese has broken up into small pieces; set aside.
- Cut the cooked potatoes, scallions, bell peppers, and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Place into a large bowl, add in basil, set aside.
- Prepare the steak: In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, coriander, salt and black pepper. Season both sides of the steaks with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it into the meat.
- Place the steaks onto the grill, cook for 5 minutes, turn steaks over, and cook on second side until internal temperature is 130-135 degrees for medium-rare, or 145-150 degrees for medium. Place steaks onto large platter, cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. (The steaks will continue to cook while resting and will reach 145 degrees for medium rare and 160 degrees for medium)
- Prepare the sauce: Meanwhile, place preserves, lemon zest and lemon juice into a heat proof saucepan. (If the preserves contain whole cherries, break them apart using the back of a large spoon.) Place the saucepan onto the grill or side burner, over medium heat, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place the red wine or water and cornstarch into a small bowl; whisk. Stir into preserves mixture, continue to cook for 5 minutes; set aside to keep warm.
To serve: Slice steaks into ¼ inch strips, slicing across the grain. Divide the steak slices evenly between 4 serving plates, fanning or staggering the slices on each other. Top with 2-3 Tablespoons of the cherry sauce. Serve with the remaining sauce on the side. To the potato mixture, pour reserved vinaigrette over potatoes, toss to fully coat. Divide the potato salad evenly between the serving plates; garnish with gorgonzola and chopped scallions. Garnish entire plate with chopped basil and enjoy!